Saturday, May 19, 2007

What I did today...

Today I riddled some soil into the new bed and planted five courgette Romanescu. (Sounds easier than it was!) I also got rid of the enormous chard plants which were in the seedbed frame below right of the greenhouse in this picture. The idea is to sow some leeks there tomorrow. I also watered the greenhouse.
The tomatoes really need potting on and the beans desperately need to go out but it is just too windy. Have more pics from today but no time to post just now. Must remember to prepare the bean bed and get the bed ready for squashes again. (It's the same bed as last year but I want to add more soil/manure. Am considering adding mushroom compost to improve the structure of the soil in several of the beds. I sprinkled pelleted chicken manure around before planting out the courgettes.
I had given up on getting any sweetcorn 'Indian Summer' which we so loved last year but it was back on the Thompson & Morgan web site yesterday & so I ordered some. It will have to be sown as soon as I get it but if we do get a long hot Summer as expected it should be ok!
Life seems to be slowly starting up again after six weeks of daily visits to the hospice. Every seed sown is a statement of intent and of faith in the future - good times ahead and meals shared with family & friends.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

There's obviously been an upheaval in your life - and you're so right, planning for next seasons veg - and flowers - is a real affirmation of life, and very soothing. I hope it works for you.

Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com

PS I think flowers really are allotment business, they're an important part of a kitchen garden

Sunday, 20 May, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

Thank you Joanna

Sunday, 20 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter