Monday, November 21, 2005

Joanne's Brilliant Brown Bread Recipe


Ingredients:
1 lb Strong Brown Bread Flour (I use Wholemeal)
2 lb Strong White bread Flour
1 tbs Salt
Toasted Sesame Oil
1 tbs Black Treacle
Hand Hot Water (About one and a half pints)
2 sachets dried yeast

Method:
Sieve flours and salt together in a large bowl.
Add a dollop of toasted sesame oil.
Mix in the yeast.
Add treacle to the water and mix in.
Knead for 5 minutes. (I do it in the bowl)
Leave to rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled in size. (Covered with a clean tea towel)
Knock back, quick knead & shape into 2 loaves.
Place on a greased baking sheet.
Leave to rise 20 - 30 minutes.
Bake 230 degrees (Gas mark 8) for 35 - 40 mins.
Cool on a rack.

This may seem like a bit of a faff but actually it's dead easy as all the mixing & kneading etc I do in the bowl itself so there's hardly any mess. The sesame oil and the treacle smell fantastic, and the only real problem is if you are trying to lose a few pounds as I am at the moment (well OK then a stone or so) the bread is very tempting. On the plus side though it is satisfying and filling so I find I'm not so tempted by chocolate and the like in between. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have been really looking forward to trying out this recipe, thank you so much for sharing it.

I am going to the ingredients that I do not have in my store cupboard - the oil - and have a go. As usual the photos are sublime and the bread .....Well it looks heavenly.

Home made bread so morish and we keep eating it - so I might have to stop making it again if we pile on too many pounds. So lovely and filling and comforting on these wintry days though.

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Blogger Mike said...

Good luck with it... both the treacle and the sesame oil will last for ages once you have got them. I bake both loaves diagonally on one baking sheet and they sort of melt into each other as they cook. Tearing them apart at the join is a very satisfying part of the process. The sesame oil must be the toasted kind - I bought ordinary by mistake once and it isn't the same!

Wednesday, 23 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter