Monday, July 18, 2005

Onion Update


I forgot to put these up last week!!!
I went down all afternoon this afternoon and had as really good go in the shed! I lined a load of stuff up ready to go to the tip when I heard a cheery call and Jimmy arrived enquiring about three large panes of glass for his oddly proportioned greenhouse, a couple of sheets of hardboard and an old lawnmower for the bloke who does the verges. He made me a cup of tea and a piece of shortbread. He told me a bit about his time in the steelworks in Glasgow. There were 18 allotments actually in the grounds for employees. Jimmy ended up with three on the go.
I can hardly remember an afternoon at the allotment that felt so laid back! Although he did describe mare's tails as 'soul destroying'.
I will take some new pictures tomorrow.

Jobs I have planned are:

*Finish the 'new' strawberry bed
*Carrots & potatoes in the greenhouse for Christmas
*Two rows of peas lengthways along a bed
*Move Leeks asap when it's wet
*Thin new squash plants
*Plant up apple mint in Green container
*Weeding & general bed maintanence
*Ask Sam about railway sleepers

Should keep me busy for a while
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sound to have a really good afternoon. nice to chat. he sounds an interesting chap. I hope you are not calling my favourite lawnmower and old mower! it's great. your list of things to do looks rather long. I hope you won't become discouraged. Margaret is not coming. the christening party have all got D. and V!

Tuesday, 19 July, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike

Luvverly onions you've got there...

Moira x

Wednesday, 20 July, 2005  
Blogger Mike said...

Hi!!

I certainly won't become discouraged as long as my onions are the looked upon kindly.

The lawnmower in question was part of a lot from the salerooms years ago which I got for something else but I couldn't bear to get rid of it.

Wednesday, 20 July, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter