Thursday, August 25, 2005


Oops! I don't know how this happened but I seem to be taking up the central path. I have tentatively decided to replace the flags with g'cover & woodchip rather than re-laying them over groundcover. I intend to use the flags at the far end of the plot next to the small shed to make a hard working area. By rights this post should be full of loving shots of Desiree potatoes as I have spent some time during the last couple of days digging and sorting them. The growing under groundcover has been a success so all being well I'll do that with all the potatoes from now on. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, does it mean because you grow them under ground cover that you do not have to earth them up? You have certainly set yourself a big task to move all the paving! How is the weeding goingor have you given up on the impossible task! I'll call in ands see you sometime.

Friday, 26 August, 2005  
Blogger Mike said...

Hi mum:

I don't earth them up in raised beds anyway as the haulm grows into a blanket excluding a lot of light and inhibiting weed growth and green tubers. However, the ones grown under g'cover are in much better condition than those I've grown before. We didn't have any green ones at all. There was also far less slug damage than usual, which is a possible drawback with growing under cover - it provides excellent shelter for slugs.

I have done a lot of weeding recently but the long term solution is to grow as much as possible under cover and to organise the uncultivated areas to be inhospitable to weeds.

I look forward to your visit.

Bye for now, Mike

Friday, 26 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter